Surgent Registered Tax Return Preparer Education
Registered Tax Preparer Education Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions -
About RTRP General Information

How does someone become a Registered Tax Return Preparer?

In order to become an RTRP you must obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN), take and pass the RTRP Competency Test and pass a tax compliance check. After you become an RTRP, you must renew your PTIN each year and obtain 15 hours of continuing education annually from IRS-approved providers.

What practice rights do Registered Tax Return Preparers have?

Registered tax return preparers have the right to prepare and sign tax returns and claims for refund. RTRPs also may represent clients before revenue agents, customer service representatives, or similar officers and employees of the IRS (including the Taxpayer Advocate Service) during an examination if they signed the tax return or claim for refund for the tax period under examination.